Monday, July 26, 2010

New Mom Realizations, or, How to Make Milk if You're Starving to Death:

I mean, for real. Realization #3: Whatever food you have time to eat is the most delicious thing you've ever tasted. Suffice it to say that I ate a lot of granola bars instead of meals during our first weeks at home. When I was lucky enough to have a hot meal prepared for me, I had Realization #5: If the food is hot, the baby is fussy. It's some part of Murphy's Law, I'm sure of it.

So, under these two conditions, how does my body produce my baby's food?? Which leads me to a new Realization now: the crazy shit your body does while preggo is almost nothing compared to what will happen after the baby comes. Trust me on this. Between making milk, your milk letting down, your boobs leaking milk (usually right after you've showered or put on fresh clothes), the stitches you undoubtedly got for the episiotomy/tearing...your body is a veritable war zone. Your body VS. sleep, that's what we'll call it. How could it be anything else? You've spent 9 months building up a huge store of hormones, only to dump all of them out of your bloodstream in two weeks. Can we just have a moment to process that?? It's no wonder new moms get the "baby blues" (which is a really stupid name, but that's another post)!

And, another Realization: just when you hit your stride in a blog post, the baby wakes up. Time to make a bottle and change a nappy for mo chuisle.

No comments:

Post a Comment