Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Lifetime Cribs - Love 'Em or Leave 'Em

So Carrie and I are (finally) moving out of my parents' house and my mother is graciously buying a crib as a housewarming present - score! I went to Babies R Us and picked exactly the one I wanted. When my choices are finite like that, and I need a specific and hard-to-find feature (low sides), choosing is easy. And then my mom asked me to look on Diapers.com and pick something from there (hello, free shipping on this insanely large and heave purchase!) And that's when the (proverbial) shit hit the fan.

See, this is a big purchase. I'm looking at lifetime cribs, they convert into toddler beds and full-size beds; which means I'm looking at a piece of furniture that Carrie will be using until she's my age (Goddess willing and the creek don't rise). That's a lot of pressure to put on me. What if she hates it later on? What if the finish is all wrong for her personality or the headboard just isn't compatible with her favorite pair of handcuffs? How do you choose something for a baby to last them their whole life? This is getting nuts.

Add to that the fact that I'm just over five feet tall and need a crib I can lower her into on the lowest setting - sans stepstool because I'm not a fucking toddler - and what do you get? I'm staring at a selection of 441 different cribs with absolutely no idea which one to pick. Dammit.

In the end, I'll probably pick something I like the look of and she'll just have to like it. And feel terrible about it forever. Ah, the joys of motherhood.

2 comments:

  1. Note: Be wary of such phrases as "the shit hit the fan" on a parenting blog. Maybe it's because I don't have a child, but I immediately put down my coffee on that line in preparation for a horror story (but also note, I kept reading. Yeah, I got loyalty).

    & hey, if she hates it, her first big personal purchase can be a bed instead of a car. Or she can make a fort in her bedroom. Heck, she's YOUR kid, she's crafty enough to make do -- & love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Merbear on the what-if-she-hates-it part.

    I wasn't too worried about the shit-to-fan phrase simply because I figure if it was something reaaally bad, you probably wouldn't be blogging about it. You'd probably be dealing with untold catastrophe, blog be damned. Or maybe, that's just what I tell myself to keep from getting scared for you and Carrie.

    That aside, I think you're an awesome mom and that Carrie is very lucky to have you picking out her furniture. And hey, you can always mold her personality around whatever you end up getting for her. ;)

    ReplyDelete