Friday, October 15, 2010

Color Me Entitled

Ok, so this might come off as a bit....snippy. Just warning you.

So, I've worked with kids for about 13 years now. I've been a babysitter, a nanny, worked in a daycare, worked in drop-in childcare, volunteered with groups small and large, worked in a church nursery and been a camp counselor. I've done it, so I know how hard it is.

But, really, there's no reason my daughter should come home from her second week of daycare with a diaper rash when she's never had one before ever. I'm not exactly anal retentive (har har) about changing her diaper when it's wet at home, so how long are they leaving her to sit in her own urine that she's got a rash on her butt? That's just ridiculous.

Ugh, I sound so smug. So "if I can take care of her by myself and do myriad other household chores, how can two of you not make sure to change her diaper?" When, in reality, I know exactly how hard it is for two adults to care for eight infants in one room. I know, I know, I know it's a challenge to do that and I know, I know, I know that sometimes you don't get to things as fast as you should and you kick yourself for it. But there's really nothing to be done, that's just the reality.

And, of course, she could just be getting a diaper rash because that's what happens when one sits in one's own urine for any length of time at all - like a baby does in a diaper. It could have absolutely nothing to do with the caregivers at daycare. In fact, it could be entirely my fault.

But I'm emotionally incapable of admitting that I could have failed - even in some small way - during the same week that she's gone to daycare for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment